Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thomas Keller is my MJ

For years I've wanted to find my way to Napa, despite being a teetotaler, so I could eat at the wonderful restaurants there. Mustards Grill is one of my favorite cookbooks, but unquestionably Thomas Keller's French Laundry is where I'd want to eat my last supper. Through happenstance I am staying this week five floors from another one of his restaurants, Bouchon. For less than the price of room service I ate this magnificent french toast for breakfast. To call this french toast would be like calling his creme brulee instant pudding. In all honesty, this was a rich, creamy, challah-based apple bread pudding for breakfast. Combine this with this hotel's ridiculous fitness center that costs $40 to go for a run on the treadmill and I should have packed my fat pants...

5 comments:

Jessica said...

That looks HEAVENLY!

Tyler said...

I believe their are two Bouchon's. Which one did you go to?

Gayle said...

Where are you, our traveling man?

I hope you did more than take a photo and eat...like figure out the recipe so you can make it for the rest of us! I'll buy the cook book for you if your MJ has published another one. I think I owe you a birthday present!

John said...

I was in Vegas.

I believe the recipe's in his book based on the restaurant: http://www.amazon.com/Bouchon-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579652395/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4

You certainly don't owe me anything though. I already own one of his books that I've never cooked from. Ironically, that book (French Laundry) was given to me by my daughter because she figured it would have a great french toast recipe (it doesn't).

Katie said...

I hope 1800 picks up the tab so you can get in a run when they send you on the road. Glad you got to eat BCG like while in the city of Sin. I missed you as I ate cereal and leftovers ;)