Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tax the Rich

Democrats want to extend the Bush tax cuts to all but those that make more than $250K. Republicans don't.

Most data I've seen indicates that doing what the Democrats want will not significantly impact the economy adversely. I'm not at all opposed to the rich carrying more of the burden of taxes.

This article by Mankiw today lays out some sound reasoning to hold off on further tax increases. 90% marginal tax seems like a lot, especially when it means cutting take-home pay by 50% from what is currently 80%.

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Read in concert with Brooks' article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/opinion/12brooks.html?ref=davidbrooks and you really start to see a pretty bleak picture.
I'm not in the top bracket, but I'd be willing to pay more taxes if I had any faith in the government to spend it well.

Tyler said...

That said, it seem morally wrong to me that anyone no matter how wealthy could have something close to 50% of their pay taken from them. 33% seems to high to me.

Tyler said...

too high