Monday, February 21, 2011

Apple - Worst Customer Service?

In our business, we define satisfaction as reality minus expectations. We try hard to set reasonable expectations and then over-deliver against them.

Many companies set very low expectations and then deliver against them, for example cable companies, telephone companies, and pretty much every agency of the government, particularly federal. Their service sucks, but this is pretty much expected. Other companies set high expectations and then massively miss their mark.

I believe Apple delivers the worst satisfaction equation I can recall in recent memory. This is partially because they set a high expectation with great product design and a smooth sales process. However, I've now had at least three abysmal customer service experiences as an owner of Apple products. It is astounding to me how badly they take care of people that have already paid.

In business, I've heard this called "taking bad profits". Eventually this catches up with you. I, for one, will be looking for ways to reduce my addiction to all things that start with a lower case i.

No comments: