Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ready for the big game

I believe January is the best month for high-end TV sales in the US, even higher than the Christmas season, due to preparations for Super Bowl parties.

We bought our TV before moving to Chicago in 1996 because we knew we would be starving students without a way to buy one later. The logic was to buy a TV right away before we had no money and would decide raman would be more prudent. Good move - we didn't starve and it became the mecca for watching Jazz/Bulls Finals and the Utes' trip to the Final Four. It has lasted through about nine moves, several generations of video game consoles and a lot of Super Bowls, most of which we probably didn't watch.

Well last week we finally replaced the TV. Yesterday Katie brought home the new couch to complement the TV, rounding out my ability to successfully avoid exercise and watch reruns of Arrested Development instead.

As I plopped down on the couch last night and took the remote lovingly in hand I thought about the fact that there's a big game coming up. It's not the Super Bowl. It's not even March Madness since the Utes are irrelevant this year. Nope, this year and this time the big game is coming up next weekend. When I sustain Pres. Monson as the new leader of the church, I'll be able to see every pore in his face. Then I'll snuggle into the cushions of my new couch until time to make Conference Brunch and lament being so far from family for Katie's favorite time to be with family. The waffles and bacon never taste quite the same when it's only (!) the eight of us.

By the way, Boo asked us to call JB and invite her to come over for conference, so consider yourself officially invited. Just drop by. We've got a big screen and plenty of room on the couch.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

BREAKING MY HEART!!!!!!!!!!

please do tell Bryn she can call me any time!

Dean said...

I so miss those days - when the Utes were a team to be feared. Now they get bounced in the quarterfinals of the CBI. Pfftt... I hope that their dominance will one day return.

Gayle said...

It is the Bisquick, John. You from scratch egg whites folded in carefully waffels just don't cut it...not! How I rejoice that you are all together...all together and healthy. That is all any of us need...your THE Family.