Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight

I think I've probably mentioned on here at some point that I read Twilight to see what the buzz was about. I probably also mentioned that I didn't like it and haven't read any of the subsequent books. I may have mentioned that I didn't mind the story, but the fawning weakness of the protagonist was like a five hour car drive with a love-struck 14 year old girl. Cool if you're 14 and her best friend, agonizing if you're 14 and male, worth running into pylon at full-speed if you're old and jaded.

You can probably guess that I didn't go to the midnight showing last night. Apparently many did. Apparently I'm not alone in my opinions of Bella.

I looked up the stats on imdb and they are pretty incredible. I realize there are probably a lot of shill votes tainting the picture. Nonetheless, the votes currently look like this:

64.2% rate it a 10
22.6% rate it a 1
That means that almost 90% of people either love it or hate it absolutely. No other vote got even 3%. Wicked bimodality. (Jaded, old and geeky)

Men rate it a 4.7 with little variation by age.
Women rate it 7.8, with women under 18 rating it 8.6
Whew, I'm not alone.

But that means ~50% of men LOVE it. Not just like it. Not just went to be nice to their significant other. Holy shamoley. I'd continue, but speculating on who these guys would be is just going to get me in trouble.

Suffice it to say I don't think any of the men reading my blog will be in the 10 column. In fact, I'm pretty sure they'd put me in the 10 column for even having read the book. Sorry Ty.

5 comments:

Tyler said...

HA!

Unknown said...

I have no interest in the film. I agree whole heartedly with your depiction of Bella. And, I think the actor they got to play Edward is ugly-you would make a much more attractive vampire.

Karen said...

This post was most definitely written by a consultant. BTW, I went to the midnight showing with my 14yo daughter. I will refrain from commenting on the movie. Ask Jon why.

The Yosts said...

I agree with your post. I might have put the book down as a "fun" read but nothing more. Bella drove me CRAZY! The books don't get any better either. #1 was the better of the 4. My daughters will not be allowed to read until they are over 18.

Gayle said...

The Yost comment is right on. I hope my granddaughters will not read these books until they are 18!