Tuesday, April 21, 2009

American beats Kenyan by a furlong

Katie and I ran the SL half marathon this weekend. Impressive, I know. Rare that someone with my waistline can make it to the fridge without stopping for rest. Unimpressive, I know. 13 miles really isn't very far for anyone that's run much at all.

What you might find more impressive though is that I beat the Kenyan that won the marathon. Non-sequiteur? (That word's probably both misspelled and misused, but in grammar I like to believe that two wrongs make a right) Not at all. As we rounded the final bend at the Gateway we heard sirens and the sudden roar of the crowd. I'm used to this, but it was new for Katie. It turns out that it wasn't for either of us. The winning marathon runner was right behind us. Don't concentrate too much on what that means for our half marathon time - we ran fast enough, thank you. What's important to visualize is that I sprinted faster than I have since high school for the last 100 yards. There was no way I was getting lapped.

I'll have you know that I beat him soundly. I don't think I qualified for anything as a result, but I can now go to my grave visualizing that Kenyan chasing me futily. (Spell check says that's not a word - what's the adverb for futile? Does this language not have such a word? Perhaps Swahili does.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it was a great finish John. Next year you'll do the full, with Mason, and I'll be there to cheer for you 'cause I ain't runnin' no marathon!