Thursday, April 09, 2009

Everyone needs something to review

Cool people review movies, but I made a promise to myself 15 years ago not to watch movies worth reviewing. Besides I'm not cool.

Hip people review music. I can't even tell you the correct lyrics for songs I've sung along to since high school.

I could review board games, but you might think I'm kinda nerdy. (bump, set...)

Instead, I've decided to review something near and dear to my heart and my love handles. Ice cream. I've recently found some unbelievably good ice creams, and it's worth sharing.

First off, I live in the land of Amy's, ice cream that is literally so good I've packed it on a plane to bring some home to Katie. I'm not going to start there though.

For my maiden voyage, let me tell you about Haagen Dazs' latest line of ice creams that they call "Reserve". The most blissful ice cream I've ever pulled from a freezer case (and I've pulled a lot of ice cream, I assure you) is their Fleur de Sel Caramel ice cream. I've always been a sucker for caramel and in recent years have found the great offsetting flavor notes (sweet/salty) when you add fleur de sel (expensive salt - flower of the sea) to really good caramel. Next time I'll review Katie's favorite from this collection (no spoiler here, check back). In the meantime, go grab some of this stuff.

The best part is you only need like two bites and you're good. It seems expensive, but it goes a long way. You don't have to eat the whole pint like with Ben & Jerry (ok, maybe not everyone does that like I do).

If you really, really like it, I may just make you some homemade fleur de sel caramels and you may just die on the spot.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I would die on the spot if you made me some home made caramels, because that would mean you would be AT HOME in YOUR KITCHEN! that would be blissful death to be sure.

Jessica said...

Note - need to get KT & John to San Fran to try Bi-Rite Creamery ice cream. They have a burnt carmel that I think you might enjoy. I personally haven't had that burnt carmel the 2-3 times I have gone. Lavender is a favorite of mine, that would be honey lavender. I also very much enjoyed the lemon & chocolate. So yummy and creamy! But since I can't get on a plain and have me some bi-rite at the moment, I think I will take you up on the Hog, I do love their dark chocolate with chocolate chunk, YUM!