Monday, August 28, 2006

My Pal Mason

It tore my heart out last night to have to leave Katie and Lucy in Hanoi. I felt so utterly deflated that we got so close to getting them out at the same time as me and Mason.

However, it is wonderful to get to travel with Mason. He is the greatest traveler. I love watching him walk through crowds in Hanoi, Osaka, Europe, wherever and not even appear phased by anything. He has an attitude that says he has seen everything there is to see. He can deal with an 11 hour layover or 12 hour flight like it was nothing. He just pulls up, pulls out his sketchpad and starts drawing. Or reads another book (seven so far on this trip). Or takes a nap.

It is so fun to have a son develop into a pal, a great friend. I am grateful that Mason is that and that he'll travel around the world with me. What fun to be with him.

We are on an 11-hour layover in Osaka. Then we'll fly to LA and have a seven hour layover. Getting a flight at the list minute does not lend itself to pleasant itineraries. However, in less than 24 hours we'll be home with Bryn, Madison, Porter and Winnie. How exciting. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Funny thing is I had no idea you had been blogging until well today. And you got home last night.

Want you to know I shed many tears reading your heart felt thoughts and feelings. You are a great man John! OUr family is so lucky to have you not to mention that sister of mine.

Love you guys and your awsome example! Hope you recover quickly so you can get on that bike of yours soon.

Love Mandy