Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Banging on the Ceiling

So we have the glorious opportunity to live in a corporate apartment for the next week and a half until our house closes. Better said, we're living in two two-bedroom apartments. With six kids. On the third floor. Did I mention we checked 16 (two each) 50-pound pieces of luggage? So when we arrived in Dallas late Monday night and got to move into our new digs, you can imagine none of us were all that happy. The kids were sad to leave cousins and friends. Katie was being a cheerleader. I was the sky cap.

We grabbed take-out at Sonic and stumbled into our new piece of paradise. After eating, the guy below us starting banging on his ceiling. Apparently we were being too loud and it was too late. It was 10:30 and we weren't really doing anything. The kids were tired and eating. He resumed this morning at 7:00 am when the kids were groggily eating their Cheerios.

How long has this guy lived in an apartment on the second floor? Don't you think you probably hear noise from time to time? I can't tell whether we should start spending our time in the second apartment to give him a reprieve or start playing loud music and dancing to show him what real noise is.

It's been nine years since I lived in an apartment. I had great neighbors and a great place. Is this what I've been missing all these years? Jenny, Josh, I have newfound respect for the two of you. Just don't have kids, and if you do, make sure they don't crunch too loudly on those Cheerios.

5 comments:

amanda jane said...

well, only a week to go; I say dance it up!

Katie said...

oh what about us??? Our neighbor below us has complained to us and the office about how loud we are, the same question came up dose he really know what loud means, I mean when Tyler is studing for the GMat I am making dinner and will is walking around the apartment. I guess that is really loud. Sure HATE apartment living too. Six kids in a apartment you guys are amazing!

John said...

I feel your pain. Jessica could also jump in here now, I suppose. Though I hope she and her plants are not making anyone too upset.

Jenny and Josh said...

The people below us have never complained. But other tenants complain about each other all the time. Josh and I have learned to live with the creaking sound that comes from the people above us. At first it kept us up and night. (These guys are still walking around in their apartment midnight or later every night) But now I am so used to it, it is more like a comfort sound. Some day when we move I fully expect to turn to josh one night and say "I can't sleep. It is too quiet with out he squeky floors"

Jessica said...

K - first of all KT, did you say Will will be WALKING around your apartment! Girl you have got to get a post up on that blog of yours I am dying to see that kid!

Now - to the apartment dwelling topic; what a jerk of a guy! I am actually on the bottom level, so no one hears my foot steps but I can definitely hear the people above me, and to me that is totally part of the deal. If you can't live with that then don't live in an apartment. I would like to give that person a piece of my mind, like it isn't hard enough on you guys to be in that situation!