Thursday, January 31, 2008

New header image

"Look at me! I'm on top of the world!" - Homer J. Simpson

That little image you see just above that says "second fiddle"? I spent a boatload of time getting that right so both of you could enjoy a new look to my blog.

Katie has long wanted to be able to fiddle with these sorts of images to enhance her blog. She also loves to scrapbook. So I bought her killer layout software - Quark - for Christmas. I used Quark back when I was younger - like 20 years ago. It's become a lot beefier and more complicated in the ensuing years.

Here's what I had to do to get this image to work:
* Figure out Quark enough to get the layers, fonts and image right.
* Save it. Doh - it saves as a Quark file and nothing can read it.
* Save it as the other option - EPS. Doh - I don't have photoshop to open this so I can save it as a jpg.
* Buy photoshop. Doh - Adobe's web site won't accept my credit card.
* Screenshot and save in Paint? Doh - this is a Mac and I don't know how!
* Ah hah (weeks later). Screen shot using Clip. Save as Tiff. Doh - Blogger doesn't accept tiff.
* Ah hah. Macs have a preview program that can open tiff and save as jpg. Catch that? Four file conversions - Quark to EPS to tiff to jpg. Alas.
* Upload. AHHHHHHHH! Width is off and my OCD kicks in.
* Grab the image on my PC and shrink it by "eyeballing" the width until I get it right - on the third try. So if the aspect ratio appears a bit tight horizontally, it is - 1.99% to be exact.

So woo hoo. I can finally make a decent masthead. It's as easy as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 on our cool iMac with its rocking design software.

By the way, I really like the image. He/she who guess what it is (not Katie) gets a shiny new congratulations and an invitation to the next game night. Hint - it's an original photograph from yours truly sometime in the last month or two.

4 comments:

amanda jane said...

I was all excited to learn how to do this, until read what youwne tthrough. and I am much more technically challenged in oh so many ways. but to hazard a guess, I was going to guess it was POrter in his halloween costume, but I think it is one of the kids in an african costume of sorts if that was in within the last month. well, what is it then?

Jenny and Josh said...

I think it came from the picture where you are dressed up as some kind of warrior and we can all see how white you are, which is enhanced by the fact that you are standing next to black dudes :). But I guess you were in the paicture so you couldn't have taken it. oh well.

Gayle said...

I am pretty sure it its the fabric of the Swaziland dancers, and yes, as Jenny already said, I now remember they did dress you up too! Great looking mast head. Remember how you did it..as soon as you forget your will really need to know how to do it again!

John said...

Good guess on the fabric. I'll try to post the original picture when we have access to the Mac.