Thursday, February 12, 2009

Deep waters

My mom forwarded me an address from Mitt Romney this morning that I thought was very well done. I had to find the original though to make sure it was really from him. It turns out he's given the same speech in several variations at different times. Here's one.

I like this bit:

Over the years, I have watched a good number of people live out their lives in the shallows. In the shallows, life is all about yourself, your job, your money, your house, your rights, your needs, your opinions, your ideas, and your comfort.

In the deeper waters, life is about others: family, friends, faith, community, country, caring, commitment. In the deeper waters, there are challenging ideas, opposing opinions, and uncomfortable battles. Almost every dimension of your life can be held to the shallows or taken into the deeper water. Your career, your involvement with others, your spouse and your children, your politics, each can be lived with you comfortably at the center. Or, they can draw you out of yourself, into service and sacrifice, into selflessness.

There are currencies more lasting than money. It can be enormously rewarding to take the unobvious course, to jump into the deep water. Bias is shallow thinking and shallow water. Read widely, particularly from people who disagree with you. Argue to learn rather than to win. If you don't respect, I mean really respect, the views of people who disagree with you, then you don't understand them yet. There are smart people on both sides of almost every important issue. Learn from them all. If you have life all figured out in neat little packages, you're in Neverland, not the real world. And it's boring there. There's one more thing I've seen in the people who swim in the deep waters of life. They don't fashion their values and principles to suit their self-interest; they live instead by enduring principles that are fundamental to society and to successful, great lives.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed these comments as well. And I felt a pity for myself that I haven't had the time or energy to "really understand" the viewpoints of others who oppose my points of view.

Jenny and Josh said...

Argue to learn huh? No wounder you, Aaron, Tyler and Dad know so much. :)

John said...

Aaron was the first person I thought of. No wonder he's so deep.

amanda jane said...

I would have voted for him. really really wish he had made. guess the world is still too shallow. I need to go tread some deeper water now!