Wednesday, September 05, 2007

If I had a million dollars


This week I very seriously thought about going out and buying Katie a green dress for our anniversary (though not a real green dress, that's cruel).

A song from way back in the dark ages by a Canadian band we're fans of says, "If I had a million dollars I'd by you a green dress". I certainly do not have a million dollars, but I got to feel like it the other day.

We have a pretty sizable chunk of change sitting in our bank account right now since we just sold our house and I haven't been able to get the proceeds moved into a higher interest bearing account until we pull it back out to put into a new house in Dallas. It's sizable, but nowhere near $1M.

However, the exchange rate here is 7 rands/dollar, so when I went to the ATM the other day to pull out R1000 ($130), the account balance on my receipt showed that we were well into the seven digits. Very exciting. I imagine this is what Europeans and Japanese feel like when they go to ATMs in US since the dollar is so weak.

It seems like a green dress is the least I could for Katie to celebrate. If nothing else, I'll at least make sure we eat even more mac & cheese with fancy dijon ketchup. Mmmmm. And since we're in Africa we should probably get a new pet - a llama or an emu.

No comments: