Wednesday, September 05, 2007

South African souvenirs


So far this is the only souvenir shopping I've done. I can't speak to the entire cocktail the kids are on right now, but so far I've been on seven different meds this week. I started with:

Antibiotic - twice a day
Post nasal drip undoer - twice a day
Expectorant - three times a day
Anti inflammatory - three times a day

Yesterday I felt even worse after trying this cocktail for two days. My mouth tasted like aluminum (we had Thai food for our anniversary and I ate several bites before I could taste anything but aluminum), my stomach felt like a steel drum, I gagged every time I swallowed and coughed and hadn't slept in two nights.

Apparently the cough syrup was making my heart race, which was why I couldn't sleep. Now I've been doubled up on the antibiotic and have to take the anti-inflammatory whether I want to or not (reduce the gagging from my inflamed throat) and have added:

Fizzy effervescent deals - three times a day (replace cough syrup)
Belly protector pills - offset the antiobiotics' effect on my stomach
Throat spray - any time my throat hurts lots

The kids have a good fistful of meds as well (and Katie and J). My cocktail is different than theirs - somehow I have a bacterial deal and theirs is viral. Go figure.

When I was a kid my grandparents would come to stay from time to time and I was always amazed at the pharmaceutical cocktail they'd take each morning - a technicolored wonderland. That's what this feels like. I hope we're about done with this and can concentrate on some real souvenirs.

3 comments:

Katie said...

how about we re-do that whole dinner out for the anniversary? Let's wait til we are better, and then we'll have even more to celebrate!

Katie said...

You guys are a mess, I am so sorry to hear how awful you all feel. Hang in there by the sound of it, it can't get much worse.

John said...

Oh, it could certainly be much, much worse.