Friday, May 23, 2008

A Dreaded Election

Once again it appears an election is approaching where I feel no excitement for any available candidate. I've tried to spend a few minutes here and there studying up on the parties and the issues.

Lately I've had the desire to really get at the heart of what exactly it means to be Republican or Democrat. I've been a bit disheartened by what I've found. I think I have a great deal in common with principles that seem to fall on either side and some that seem to be shared values, but their own websites do little to help me educate themselves. I expect vague - since that seems to be the way these things work, but it's more than that.

On the DNC website, rather than learn about what they believe in and the plan they have to change the mess we're in, I found that 80% of their pagespace is dedicated to vitriolic attacks on McCain. I'm no fan of McCain either, but tell me what YOU believe, not how you feel about McCain. I'm done falling for the common enemy argument.

I'm completely disenchanted by the RNC these days. Not only has Bush been an eight year massive disappointment, but the xenophobia Mitt Romney underwent bugged me a lot. I checked out their site today to see what they stand for. I found it interesting that they actually have a link entitled, "Mormons". Interested, I clicked to see if this was going to be a "Mormons should go to hell" link or a "Sorry we forgot we weren't in Salem, MA" link. Ironically, the link is broken. That kind of sums things up for me.

I feel like a certain 14 year old wandering from party to party with one saying, "Lo, here!" and the other saying "Lo, there!" I think I'll spend the next break I have looking into other parties. Maybe the libertarians are worth investigating.

8 comments:

Tyler said...

Both parties screw over the average Joe. The difference is that the republicans tell you they are going to do it. The Dems promise they won't but then do anyway.

Unknown said...

the only good thing so far is that it looks like Hilary is out. She represents every bad thing about politics to me, and I will be sorely disappointed if she is ever elected. Self serving, self centered and self motivated - she had not interest in anyone's success but her own...unless the success of another could further her potential for success (her husband's election being a prime example)

Anonymous said...

Alignment with any particular party is problematic for at least the reasons you've identified in your post. Its going to be a rare bird whose interests, values etc. align precisely with those of any given party - to the extent that a party has even taken the trouble to fully and clearly articulate their views so that you could make that assessment in the first place. Thus, while I'd unquestionably class myself as a conservative, you'd be assuming too much if you thought I agreed with everything that any Republican ever said or did. In the end, I think you have to hold your nose sometimes and vote for whomever appears to be most closely aligned with your views, values etc. If you withhold your vote waiting for just the right party or candidate, you may find yourself on the sidelines when it comes to picking our leadership. Life is full of compromises...

Desi said...

I have no idea who I'll vote for either - haven't checked out the Libertarian Party, though. I kind of liked Ron Paul, from what little I saw of him. I agree, though, it's all about compromise. And Tyler's comment cracks me up!

Bart, Erin, Hunter, Jorden and a couple of crazy dogs said...

Hey Tyler.... you think they are bad to the average joe.... try owning a small business..... that is where they really hate you :)

The Yosts said...

This is nothing poltical:

We are total game players- we get together with the Bairds several times a month just to play games. Cities and Knights is among our favorites. WE need to have you and Katie over for a game night.

Katie said...

Katie, I think we found home. I have a closet full of board games and no one to play with. I'm a big C&K fan.

Tricia said...

I'm in the same boat...shopping around for an answer to the failure that our current party system is. Check out the Constitution Party. Not sure America is ready for their solutions, but I think they're on the right track.