Friday, May 23, 2008

Genealogy and Desi Rock


I think I'm in love.

A few years ago I started to fall in love with doing genealogy, or family history. The seed started to germinate while we lived in Sweden and Katie was able to find some of my ancestors and where they had lived. It grew a bit more when I started to interview my grandpa and record his experiences, including his time on the western front of WWII. He gave me all the letters he had written my grandma during the war and one of my most prized possessions is the final letter she wrote him before she could write no more before succumbing to ALS.

I have a world to explore on my dad's side since very little had been done on that side and I knew almost nothing about those roots. While we were living in Boise I started to do research on that side but kept coming up dry. Things just didn't seem to match and I never had enough time to really get immersed in it while chasing around our gang of kids and working on adoptions.

But now my cousin's wife (and now one of my personal heroines) has started to post all of the results of countless hours of investigative work she's done on my side of the family. I'm amazed at what she was able to accomplish. The names and dates won't mean much to you, but if you check out her blog you might see why this is such an addictive hobby for those that give it a shot. I can't wait to go visit Buena Vista, CO. Thanks Desi!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yea Desi! We are so happy to have somewhere to go to learn more about our namesake!

Desi said...

You're far too flattering! I do love genealogy also. Researching is fun and interesting, but actually going to the places and experiencing it is pretty neat. Your old WWII letters sound very cool. My mom has trunks full of ancient correspondence and it is so interesting to read. My mom always plans their trips around her genealogy stops. As a child, we seldom took a trip without stopping at multiple cemeteries... :-)