Monday, June 23, 2008

Obama leaning farther left

Obama has been an intriguing choice for presidency for many, including me. However, in my case, he suffers from a lesson learned. I voted for W in 2000 without knowing much about his politics - I just liked his rhetoric. I'm not making that mistake again. As this article points out, and many like it that I've been reading lately, Obama isn't pushing for change I can believe in, he's just pushing for much higher taxes. No thanks.

I think I'd be willing to vote for a tax hike in the face of a compelling plan, but so far that piece of the puzzle is lacking. I don't really want a tax hike for the sake of pandering. I wish he'd buy votes with someone else's money.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder what he'll come up with next. It may be another election of choosing the lesser of two evils. Feels like we just did that 4 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I have never, even for a moment, entertained the slightest inclination to vote for Obama - he and his candidacy are troubling to me for a host of reasons, and you've put your finger on one of them...

Tyler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyler said...

While I agree this is troubling, we all know presidents don't raise taxes congress does. What presidents do do, is inspire the country through their speeches, conduct foriegn policy, and appoint judges. I find Obama quite a bit more inspiring than McCain, less of a saber rattler, but I tremble to think of who he would appoint as judges.
Having said all this I don't know who I will vote for and am not too worried about it since I live in California and my vote won't count. I do find it entertaining to hear what the Presidents run on vs. what they can actually do. One would hope this tactic would not work, because the electorate is more informed about what the President can and can't do. But as you have pointed out they can buy votes this way.
Either way we have two better choices than Kerry and Bush. One point of evidence is that I am actually talking about voting for a Democrat. Better check hell to see if they are skiing down there.

Tyler said...

PS. Where is Goolsbee? Shouldn't he be schooling Obama on this stuff and keeping him from these kind of slip ups?