Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer Reading

Perhaps it is because I am working so many hours at the moment, but I have dreams of an idyllic summer vacation sitting for a few weeks in a comfy chair, on the beach or in the woods, leisurely reading a stack of good books. However, since gas is too expensive to make it to the beach or the woods, and I have too much work to do to take the weeks off, I'll just recommend some reading for those of you near the beach or the woods.

For kids or adults, kids books are awesome summer reading. Amazon has a great page for summer reading for kids. I'm currently reading The Number Devil, and would like to read Evil Genius and the entire list of Newberry winners. Our kids have enjoyed series by Angie Sage, Eoin Colfer, Rick Riordan and Ridley Pearson.

There's also an good Amazon page for aspiring adult readers. These lists seem to be too heavy on estrogen for me though, so here are some ideas for you.

Books I wish I had time to re-read this summer:
Invisible Man
Les Miserables
Midwives
Catch 22
Fahrenheit 451
Slaughterhouse Five
A Brave New World

Selections from my wish list:
History - King Leopold's Ghost, Assassination Vacation
Religion - Misquoting Jesus, The Infinite Atonement
Business - Nudge
Cookbook - The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking, The Zuni Cafe Cookbook
Fiction - Sacred Games, The Yiddish Policeman's Union
Non fiction - How Soccer Explains the World, Spoiled Rotten America
Biography - Long Walk to Freedom, The Essential Ghandi

2 comments:

Dean said...

I have the Infinite Atonement. I keep getting distracted about 50 pages into it. But I highly recommend the three-book series on the Atonement by Andrew Skinner. Those three books are awesome!

Matt said...

John! Just stumbled across your blog. Hope you're doing well! I like your posts and I'll keep reading. Say "hi" to Katie for me.
-Matt Murdoch.