Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dare I Admit It?



The classic move of a family that has too many kids and is totally out of control is the "forgotten child". I think every large, Mormon family of my youth had this story somewhere in their family history. I only had one brother, so I always thought this was ludicrous and irresponsible. The story usually goes something like this:

"We were on our way to Disneyland in our 1977 station wagon when we pulled over for a rest stop somewhere in the Nevada. The kids all got out and ran to the bathroom and we broke out licorice and water bottles. We all piled back in and headed on, hoping to make it by sundown. About twenty miles outside of Podunk, someone asked where Jimmy was. Stunned, we all turned at once to Jimmy's vacant spot in the back of the station wagon. Well, the highway patrolman was very understanding when we returned to find him next to his car, with Jimmy sitting in the backseat playing his video game with tear-stained cheeks. And so forth."

I'd be really embarrassed if that every happened to me. Really, really embarrassed. I'd be mortified if it wasn't a rest stop, but my client's house. Please let such an embarrassing thing never happen to me (again).

*sigh*

I can die now.

7 comments:

Katie said...

At least can I say she was safely sleeping in her crib? It isn't like we left her by the side of the road...and when I frantically drove back to her she was sleeping peacefully, enjoying the quiet house.

Gayle said...

What happened??!!??

John said...

I don't know what you're talking about. I was speaking totally hypothetically. I couldn't stand it if such a thing actually happened.

John said...

Hypothetically you could understand if a large family in a hurry ran out of the house and left the baby sleeping in her crib. Hypothetically you might see how they might not notice if they were looking at a map to see how to get to the client's house. Hypothetically it is plausible that you could get a few minutes down the road without noticing if the client only lives about a mile away. Theoretically it would be good to notice before the client is at the door of your van greeting your darling family. All hypothetical, you understand. The DCFS should not be alarmed or waiting for us at the airport. There's nothing to see here. Move along. :)

amanda jane said...

oh man, that is so good! LOL - and note that you have a sweet friend living at your house so she was never acutally left ALONE either. Glad to hear you're human like the rest of us! love you guys.

Jenny and Josh said...

John, It is usually the baby that gets left behind. One summer everyone piled into the car while I was still in the bathroom. They took off for the Park City Condo, this is back when we stayed up there all week! I came out of the bathroom and I was all alone (and this was before cell phones). I cried for about 10 minutes and then I heard the car come back up the drive way. It is a good thing for you and my parents that Us babies are a forgiving kind of people.And it is better to do it when she is 2 and probably won't remember. My being left behind is probably the earliest memory I have but it is there. :)

Jessica said...

This is too good.