Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sign of a busy man


I found Nelson Mandela's house underwhelming, which I think is the point. There are really only three rooms that he lived in inside his modest red brick house - front room, bedroom, kitchen. The house was burned on the inside so little still exists from when he lived there, but it has been filled with sundry memorabilia, honorary doctorates and the like.

This is what struck me. The rain gutters were atrocious. They were mostly rusted through and needed to be cleaned out. Noticing this made Mr. Mandela seem a kindred spirit. My rain gutters always need work. Isn't that a good sign that he was away doing more important things than cleaning his rain gutters? I'd like to believe mine look horrible because I'm busy changing the world.

The reality is that I'm probably just busy playing a boardgame.

No comments: