Monday, November 26, 2007

What I know about you

I've been tempted to bag this whole blogging thing from time to time.

Usually I give up because I realize that no one's actually reading my blog but Katie, so why not just email? Occasionally, I give up because I realize someone else is reading my blog and I've just offended them. oops.

Then I get back in the game. This usually happens because someone emails me and asks if I'm dead or something because I haven't posted in weeks. The other thing that happens is that I have something I really want to publish to the world, even if the world turns out to just be Katie.

Well, I'm back, but for a different reason. A month ago I installed tracking tags on my blog. One advantage of working in eCommerce for a while is that I know about such stuff and have limited html skills (Napoleon's got nothing on me). As it turns out, 60 people have visited my blog this month, which is 20-60x more than I would have thought. Here are a few things I know about you (in addition to your credit card numbers, PINs, weight and other things that I can track but shouldn't share):

* (Obviously) Katie is my #1 source of visitors - 50% come from her blog
* I've had visitors from the US, Sweden and South Africa (thanks Katie)
* From the US, my visitors are from quite a few places: Utah, TX, WA, OH, CA, ID, WY, MT, IL, MA and so on. May I just tell the guy in WY that I don't like BYU either, so please don't throw beer cans at my house? I don't know for sure who you are, but suddenly I have a much better idea.
* 83% of you are still using Internet Explorer. Welcome to the 21st century: Use Firefox
* One of you is still on dialup. Email me and I'll send you $100 to get you started toward a future of broadband bliss. This is surely tax deductible. This is probably the guy from WY.

I know, you all want access to such groovy stats and want to see neato graphs like I can. Well, it's free since Google has taken over the world (and I, for one, welcome our limitless P/E multiple overlords). Check out Google Analytics if you haven't already.

And my sincere apologies to my cousin in WY for the jokes - no offense intended, I'd hate to quit blogging again so quickly because I've given offense.

And for the literalists among you, I can't really track your weight, at least not yet.

Lastly, yes Katie, I've installed tracking on your blog too!

5 comments:

amanda jane said...

oh do share - I want to track my blog too. but for certain no one is visiting me, sounds like fun anyway! seriously how do I do that?

amanda jane said...

and PS I always read when you have posted something new! I like to read your mind, makes me feel superior or something. (LOL)

Jenny and Josh said...

John, That one with dial up is Josh and I. Now give me a hundred dollars :) hahahaha

Gayle said...

I read your blog every time I get to sit down at this computer...I go one, two, three,... in order STARTING with YOURS (!) and I love it. Reading the written word really give insight to the writer. It is wonderful to read your Posts, intimidating, but wonderful. Thanks for keeping it going.

Jessica said...

Uchem, I have dial up too. :)

(Just kidding, I steel my internet connection, but you can still give me $100!)