Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Sound advice a century and a half hence


I'm currently reading Arrington's biography of Brigham Young. It's taken me a long time to get through it, even though it isn't horribly long or heavy. Some chapters are much more enjoyable than others, but overall a good read and recommended. Here's a line I read today that I thought was nice:

"Let every father and mother make their homes so interesting that their children will never want to leave it. Make your homes pleasant with foliage and beautiful gardens, with the fragrance of flowers and fruit blossoms. Teach your children to remember God, and that from Him proceeds every good thing."

Sage advice. I think our home's pretty interesting, with six energetic kiddos. In fact, I'm sometimes concerned, as I look around at other adults with adult children still living at home, that my children may indeed never want to leave it. Perhaps we need to be a bit less interesting...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you ought to read the quote given by President Uchtdorf in the RS meeting. It was about creating such a beautiful home environment that angels themselves would come and visit it...I bet those kinds of homes have huge vegatable gardens and a little hen house;)