Monday, April 21, 2008

Another perspective on FLDS

Being a Mormon in Texas, I'm a bit closer to this FLDS thing than I care to be. I have to admit (sorrowfully) that my reaction for the most part has been to keep my head low and hope it will pass without disgracing me and mine. Not very Christlike.

I've read a blog or two lately that have made me rethink this a bit. Undoubtedly a polygamist compound is at least eery and probably criminal in some regards. There's unquestionably abusive, illegal and unconscionable behavior. However, does this mean that the children should be taken from their moms? The moms are widely viewed as too young and too weak, but I don't think anyone thinks the moms have been abusive. So why are they removed from their children, or their children from them? Thousands of kids were abused by thousands of their Catholic priests. Did this mean they should be taken from their moms?

I'm more than a bit worried that when the government concludes that a religion is "cult" it can then remove human rights so readily. Will they come for my kids when they realize I have food storage and don't watch rated R movies? If I ever do something horrible and they associate this with my religion, will they take the kiddos from Katie? The logic here is disturbing to say the least.

We may cringe at the philosophical or religious beliefs of another, but holy cow it seems to me we have to be careful that such an aversion doesn't lead to blatant discriminatory behavior. Who will history judge as the most abusive - the FLDS men or the State of Texas?

That said, could we get the FLDS to change their name once more? Perhaps something more clear like "We're Not Mormons"?

3 comments:

Desi said...

I feel the same way about taking the kids away from the moms, but I think the reasoning is that the state considers the moms to be aiding or at least enabling the men to abuse the children. The problem is that the moms are also victims who happen to be of legal age and therefore the state cannot tell them how to live their lives. I think they are trying to break the cycle by getting the little ones out of there, but I agree, especially as a mom, that it is heartbreaking. If they give the kids back to their mothers, they will invariably end up back in the FLDS community because that is all that their mothers know.

It's such a complicated and controversial issue. I can see both sides but neither option seems fair to the children. It's a very sad situation and I wish there was some solution that would allow the children to be free from the FLDS abuse and also be with their moms. I will be watching intently to see how it all unfolds in the courts.

I don't think you need to worry about the state taking the kiddos from Katie! That is, unless she is fully aware of whatever awful thing you're doing, and does nothing to protect the children from the harm.

Just my two cents worth... I enjoy reading your thoughts and opinions on your blog!

John said...

Good points, Desi. It is a difficult line where women should no longer be deemed capable of taking care of their children, individually let alone as a group. In addition, I think it is scary how in many situations mom is complicit in dad's misbehaviors, which certainly makes these murky issues murkier still.

amanda jane said...

I have been really torn by this issue too. for Johnny it is all cut and dry - the state has no right to remove the children from the mothers. but for me, I think Desi put it best. the mothers allow this culture to perpetuate these types of abuse. in my opinion the opportunity to bring these children off of that commune and into the real world for just a minute may be enough to open their eyse a little and WANT to change it for the better. it tough to side either way...