Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Best of October 2007

We're now under a week from a very relaxing and generally inspirational weekend in front of the TV. Six months ago I reviewed my highlights from April 2007. Here they are again this time around. Here are my top five discourses I will most want to remember and review as the years go by, in reverse order.

The Only True God and Jesus Christ Whom Thou Hast Sent - Holland

"So any criticism that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not hold the contemporary Christian view of God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost is not a comment about our commitment to Christ but rather a recognition (accurate, I might add) that our view of the Godhead breaks with post–New Testament Christian history and returns to the doctrine taught by Jesus Himself."

The Great Commandment - Wirthlin

"The most cherished and sacred moments of our lives are those filled with the spirit of love. The greater the measure of our love, the greater is our joy. In the end, the development of such love is the true measure of success in life."

God Helps the Faithful Priesthood Holder - Eyring

"But it is never going to be easy for you or for those you serve. There will always be pain in service and in the repentance necessary to bring the power of the Atonement to change hearts. That is in the nature of what you are called to do. Think of the Savior, whose service you are in. At what point in His mortal life can you see an instance when it was easy for Him? Did He ask easy things of His disciples then? Then why should it ever be easy in His service or for His disciples?"

O Remember, Remember - Eyring

"Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized. I know that is true, and it brings me joy to remember Him."

Slow to Anger - Hinckley

"I plead with you to control your tempers, to put a smile upon your faces, which will erase anger; speak out with words of love and peace, appreciation, and respect. If you will do this, your lives will be without regret. Your marriages and family relationships will be preserved. You will be much happier. You will do greater good. You will feel a sense of peace that will be wonderful."

Honorable Mentions

Blessed Are the Pure in Heart - Clayton
Mothers Who Know - Beck

Reflections:
Amazing how many of my favorites are from the Saturday evening session - is it because I pay closer attention or is it unfair to women?
Grateful to get more than one talk out of Eyring each time. I wish Holland and Bednar could also be in the First Presidency.
Grateful to be on this side of the ocean - Sunday afternoon had some great talks, given in the middle of the night in Joburg
I love talks that make me think - I think Beck wins this award for me and most.
It won't seem quite right without Pres. Hinckley behind the podium he grew and built, but I expect widows to be well taken care of during the next decade or so which is a good thing.
I'll go with H David Burton for $1200.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sister Beck and Elder Eyring were most timely for me. I've read them again and again, and I feel their counsel was directed at my needs.

Can't wait to enjoy the weekend with you John, and with our kids.

Gayle said...

John, you did not peg it right last time. But a great man was selected. And I know you agree.

We will be watching,along with you and ready to sustain and support the new presidency and the new apostle. From the pool of good men the new apostle will be called from as a Church, we can not be disappointed. And what richness is added by each of these unified individuals.