Monday, April 07, 2008

Life as a paradox

I have been struck lately by a paradox we all live with every day and that because of my genetics I am very keenly aware of this more than most.

On one hand, we should live each day as if it is our last. Seize the day. Carpe diem. Dead Poets. My dad got sick when he was 27 and spent the next 27 years dying, eventually passing away at 54. I can't tell you how relieved I was to celebrate my 28th birthday in good health - definitely my favorite birthday (even if Mason spoiled the surprise! :-) ). Growing up in a convalescent center, I was always cognizant of the need to live each day as though it could be my last.

On the other hand, I was born into one of the more frugal families that's ever lived. My dad was perhaps the greatest miser known to man, but my mom has also been very good with a dollar and now my brother has shown a keen ability as well. It's our family's unique talent. Why do we do this? If we should live for today, why bother? Well, the reality is that we might not die today. In fact, odds are we won't. Odds are we'll live for a long time.

So each day we're faced with a set of choices and depending upon our mindset we'll behave differently.
* Save or spend?
* Eat or diet?
* Study or play?
* Work or golf?
* Chase your dreams or be responsible?

The carpe diems of the world are now in foreclosure. Others live to regret all that time they spent at the office. Either way the temptation is to some day live with regret.

Everyone has to come to their own conclusions, but when all is said and done I've chosen to live each day as though it won't be my last. In fact, I'd like to believe that there is no 'last', which is why I celebrate Easter. Either way, since regret is inherent in the paradox, it seems worth setting aside as much as possible and replaceing it with joy in the good choices made.

Seize the day, that you might enjoy the next, and the next, and the next.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes John, prepare for a very long life, because I intend to be old with you...and we'll enjoy those old years much more with your responsible preparations...

Katie said...

Thank you I loved everyword of that post. Great point and a new way to look at things. Again thank you for words of wisdom!